How does IO configuration work in a patch? What are the various audio IO test point sections? What is the AUX input used for?

Hello !
Tiar, who is one of the most prolific contributors to the Axoloti community brought me here.
I’ve just ordered some boards and I have some noob’s questions.

The four primary jacks are independently configurable in software and can operate in several modes

• How do you configure those IOs? have you developped a specific object?

• If so where can it be found in the library?

• Are the Top Left O & I section a redundancy of the IO jack section? Can it work simultaneously?

• What is the difference with the Bottom Left, O & I section (raw connection to the dac without amp?)

• What is the AUX input used for exactly?

Thank you very much! I am really excited with that project and I can’t wait to put my hand on that board!

Best regards.

1 Like

Hi @Pierre. I really appreciate having your support.

Yes, IO configuration is handled through a factory object that will be packaged with the Akso-specific software distribution. It does not exist in the legacy factory object library. IO configuration from the processor’s perspective amounts to switching GPIO signals, so the implementation of the configuration objects is very simple. Full details on how this works and example patches of how to do IO configuration will ship with the Quickstart guide. Patches from the legacy system that do not do any explicit IO configuration will simply work normally in a default line level configuration.

Exactly. The top left IO test points correspond to the TRS jack connections; they are directly connected, redundant and can work simultaneously. The signals here pass through the configurable shifting and scaling circuitry.

The bottom left IO section on the other hand provides direct connections to the codec’s IO pins bypassing the conditioning circuitry.

The AUX input is a feature of the ADAU1961 codec that was unused in the original Core hardware implementation. Look at the codec datasheet linked in the reference manual for complete details (pages 27 and 33). It provides another single ended stereo input that can be mixed in prior to the ADC. It can also be configured to bypass the codec and be mixed back in post DAC. One application of this would be an effects unit that mixes “dry” and “wet” signals together, the “dry” signal simply bypassing all processing.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your answers. It’s very clear.

I will take a deeper look in the ADAU1961 datasheet, this aux feature is, indeed, interesting.
Can you give us an idea when the Akso software will be released? and concerning this specific software, will the leagy Axo library be compatible?

Thanks!

Check out the reference section https://zrna.org/akso/docs/reference for some more details about the software. The vast majority of legacy objects work directly. Some have been modified slightly because they depend on processor differences.

The full software distribution, firmware, patcher, object libraries and source code, will be available before boards reach you. Installation will be covered in the Quickstart guide.

2 Likes

Regarding this. So, I could add other stereo input and stereo output using these pins and get the same signal that in premounted stereo conectors. Is it rigth?:

yes correct, these pins just mirror what is on the mini jacks, so you can conveniently hook up different connector types

1 Like

Great, thank you very much @weasel