Hey @SuuBro. Really glad you could join us!
There’s no quick shortcut here unfortunately! I wish I had a better answer. I’m going to hold off changing the status on the website back until I have a very clear improvement in the manufacturing process that allows me to generally have stock for next business day shipping.
The first step is catching up on the outstanding orders (note: if you have placed an order and would prefer to reorder when the production process improvements are in place, please contact me, and I’ll give you a refund immediately).
At the moment, I don’t have a specific timeline for when this transition will occur. I would like it to occur as soon as possible obviously.
The upside of this: many of the people in this early user group are highly experienced Axoloti users. They’ve logged more hours making complex projects than I have; I’ve spent more time thinking about how the system works than actually applying it in practice. This makes them ideal for ensuring that we can find and eliminate issues and that everything in the new system is working smoothly. By the time we’re able to scale up more, we’ll have a chance to address some of the issues that come up and optimize.