What's the maximum amount of potentiometers I can connect and if it's more than 15 how do I connect it in the patcher

What’s the maximum amount of potentiometers I can connect and if it’s more than 15 how do I connect it in the patcher?

i see the gpio/in/analog object—>

is PA0-7 = A0-7 on the board?
PB0 = B0 on the board, etc?

thanks

I’m trying to find an answer for you. I seem to remember that there are more than Axoloti, but…maybe 15 is what there are? Nick is in the middle of something and I’m sure will have an answer soon enough.

1 Like

To use more than 14 pots, you gotta use some muliplexers and a specific object in the library (ctrl3-4051 by Tiar)

ctrl-4051

I have developped my own multiplexers board so I can use up to 32 potentiometers with only 4 gpio’s on the Akso/axo. You can find sone 4051 multiplexers on amazon.

So the key is there : 4051 Multiplexer

Google that, read the forums and you will find all the answers you need! :wink:

5 Likes

By my count, it’s theoretically 32 for analog inputs with our particular 176 Pin H7. Unfortunately a decent chunk of those are blocked by SDRAM lines; the memory peripheral partially overlaps. There are the 15 implemented just as on the legacy Axoloti Core. There are 6 more that can be enabled easily with a minor firmware and object updates. There’s one that can probably be unblocked in the next hardware revision. That would get us to 22. It’s 21 in the short term. For regular GPIO (and various other digital functions) basically every pin that is labeled letter-number(in hex) can be used for IO. Only a subset of those are actually internally connected to ADC channels.

H7 MCU Pin Akso Legend Internal ADC channel Status
PA0 A0 adc1_inp16 Implemented
PA1 A1 adc1_inp17 Implemented
PA2 A2 adc12_inp4 Implemented
PA3 A3 adc12_inp15 Implemented
PA4 A4 adc12_inp18 Implemented
PA5 A5 adc12_inp19 Implemented
PA6 A6 adc12_inp3 Implemented
PA7 A7 adc12_inp7 Implemented
PB0 B0 adc12_inp9 Implemented
PB1 B1 adc12_inp5 Implemented
PC0 C0 adc123_inp10 Implemented
PC1 C1 adc123_inp11 Implemented
PC2 C2 adc123_inp12 Implemented
PC3 C3 adc123_inp13 Implemented
PC4 C4 adc12_inp4 Implemented
PC5 C5 adc12_inp8 Available
PF6 F6 adc3_inp8 Available
PF7 F7 adc3_inp3 Available
PF8 F8 adc3_inp7 Available
PF9 F9 adc3_inp2 Available
PH4 H4 adc3_inp15 Available
PF3 N/A adc3_inp5 Blocked (SDRAM)
PF4 N/A adc3_inp9 Blocked (SDRAM)
PF5 N/A adc3_inp4 Blocked (SDRAM)
PF10 N/A adc3_inp6 Blocked (Voltage Monitor)
PF11 N/A adc1_inp2 Blocked (SDRAM)
PF12 N/A adc1_inp6 Blocked (SDRAM)
PF13 N/A adc2_inp2 Blocked (SDRAM)
PF14 N/A adc2_inp6 Blocked (SDRAM)
PH2 N/A adc3_inp13 Blocked (SDRAM)
PH3 N/A adc3_inp14 Blocked (SDRAM)
PH5 N/A adc3_inp16 Blocked (SDRAM)

There are a couple of ways to go from here:

• just use MIDI controllers if possible (yeah, kind of a lame answer)
  • distributed processing across Akso boards, i.e. allowing a knob connected to one Akso to affect a parameter that might actually be located on some other Akso
  • build an expansion that is specifically meant for supporting a huge number of ADC channels for controllers
6 Likes

This is very concise thank you!

In regard to the “available” ones:

Are you saying that’s something in the near future that will be implemented or just that it’s possible and will happen eventually??

Edit: already using midi controller rn for other things but I just need one more test point available to fit an existing design.

I can work around it if need be but if it’s something that’s gonna be implemented soon then I’ll just wait and program that last as it’s just to change patches in my case

The Available ones should be really straightforward to implement. It’s just a matter of finding a bit of free time to get them implemented. I basically just stopped at the 15 to save time preparing the first release.

Opened a ticket for it here: https://github.com/zrna-research/akso/issues/3

1 Like

Hi Pierre, that sounds amazing.
Tiar’s object takes 7 gpio’s for 32 pots. Would you explain how do you wire multiplexers to use only 4 gpio’s? thank you

Hello, it takes indeed 7 gpios (z1 to z4 + S0 + S1 +S2)

1 Like

If you use 4067, you can do 32 pots with 6 gpio, 48 with 7 gpio.

3 Likes

In Axoloti, in addition to 15 adc there are other 5 only DC GPIO. Is there something similar in Akso?

Hi, is there an update of the implementation for the availabe ones (adc3)? For some reason the adc12 pins stopped working at my akso board (suddenly and over night)

Does someone know which pins are PWM?

I think it was 4 and 5
Check the analog output object, it’s working

Thanks @Korb. Checking gpio/out/pwm objects I found that I get the same pins that in Axoloti.